How to help your partner stop snoring

How to help your partner stop snoring

by Americare Respiratory Services

Getting your partner to stop snoring can be impossible.  You probably start with a gentle nudge, which quickly escalates to a full force shove to get him or her to change position.  Finally, you get some peace and quiet.  You fall asleep.  An hour later, the process starts over.  (And they never wake up, do they?)

Sleeping with someone who snores affects YOUR sleep, which in turn affects YOUR health.  If someone you love snores so loud that it disrupts your slumber, please suggest they see a doctor and participate in a sleep study.  Loud, disruptive snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea, which can be fatal if not treated.  

What else can you do to help your partner stop snoring?  

Well, there are dozens of interesting solutions available. We’ve seen them all - from nose strips to chin straps and anti-snore pills to anti-snore pillows.  These might work, but underlying factors that can lead to snoring include obesity and substance abuse (namely, alcohol and sleeping pills).    

Lauren Oster bravely shared her story with Women’s Health Magazine.  She got her husband to stop snoring, for good.  He enrolled in a sleep study and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.  His doctor prescribed a special mouth positioner to wear at night, which corrects the position of his jaw while sleeping and keeps the airway open.  It worked!  Bonus: treating his snoring problem led to more peaceful sleep for them both.  

Not everyone is as lucky as Lauren.  People with moderate to severe sleep apnea may be prescribed a breathing machine called a CPAP, BiPAP, or VPAP to keep the airway open with continuous air pressure.  

14% of couples sleep separately because of snoring.

If your partner complains about going to the doctor or doing a sleep study, remind him or her that the snoring affects both of you.  Your health and your relationship are on the line.  Check out our at-home sleep studies!  

If your partner’s snoring continues to bother you, consult doctor or you may end up needing a couple’s counselor.